Thursday, January 20, 2011

Gravestone Quotes For Dad

Garibaldi was ... betrayed?

an hour and a half before I fled from work to go and feel, fitting the last free seat in the back of the Philosophers crowded. The journalist, entering, has embraced the room with a larger vision, a nomad that is oriented in a new space, the professor smiled staring straight to the small crowd. One has light eyes, Slavs as his last name, by which the world has seen so much and so many people in peace and war and a deep voice, to be curious to hear him sing, the other has a boyish face and a voice , although it had, and the gentle but firm air of one who, after all, is still convinced that history can teach us something. The journalist Paul Rumiz. I know I mentioned that too in this blog, as much as his friend actor Belluno, but not my fault if within ten days can I have both in my part, for a case that it was not me, not hesitate to define lucky. The professor Alessandro Barbero, I never mentioned, but I knew it by a column in The Discovery Channel. Understand that I could not miss. As you may have guessed, the conference covered Garibaldi and the Risorgimento and the title was "this Italian who we have to tell": Music and ironic enough to be assumed by Rumiz *. I swear that I will not start to make you the summary, even though - unlike many college students present - I took notes, almost for professional bias. But a couple of things I want to remember. First it appeared clear that the big names of the Unification of Italy, who are usually close in the topography of the city (Via Mazzini, Via Cavour, and, of course, Piazza Garibaldi), in reality they could not suffer, they had ideas very different, but on one thing they agreed: it was good to join this strange country. They did and then ... have begun to fight. And at the expense seems to have been just Garibaldi, man of many trades and thousands of projects, but believed it was democratic and when to say it was almost a dirty word, a bit 'and celebrated a bit' with suspicion, then as now, used as a symbol reds and blacks and, ultimately, betrayed by a great number of political turncoats and intriguing and, therefore, weak and blackmail (eh, mind you, I'm talking about the nineteenth century!). One which, despite its limitations, has fought for the freedom of themselves and others, while we, today, more than freedom, security matter, because "we are always ready to take us by great irrational fears," said Barbero, "and blaming others to the north, south, foreigners, rather than a bankruptcy ruling class (both colors) that has ruled for too long without ever pay its bills," he added Rumiz. Well, he actually cited the example of what happened 20 years ago in the Balkans, however ... In short, it seems that Italy is nothing but "a good idea born evil" (Rumiz), "but not necessarily must necessarily continue to do so ..." granted with the usual grace the town. Not too reassuring, but better than nothing. I confess that I had held the last book of Rumiz and, given the stampede at the end of the conference, I could easily ask for an autograph, but I do not feel I am. I am very fond of the people with their words - written or spoken - they help me to live and think and I have a damn afraid to break their boxes. Damn. Greetings timid, but patriotic!
* Errata: I found out that the title of the exhibition is organized by the University Institution libraries and providing for more meetings with various authors, so it can not be her, but it is beautiful.

0 comments:

Post a Comment